God of imagination, you show yourself to us in so many ways. During this time of Lent, we remember the stories of Jesus and how he used everyday objects to show us your power and your love. This year we look at how you used water to teach and to sooth and to remind us that we are all truly connected in this life-giving substance. Be with us as we remember Jesus’ time on earth and inspire our own imaginations to more fully experience you.
Invocation – Week 1
Welcome to LEAD’s Lenten journey – Let the Living Water Lead Us
Many of you know that during Advent and Lent, LEAD provides FREE print-ready contemplative prayer liturgies and accompanying coloring pages that can be used by congregations, small groups, or individuals for worship or personal reflection.
This year’s theme, Let the Living Water Lead Us, looks at the water flowing through the Gospel texts: Week 1 – Temptation of Jesus, Week 2 – Nicodemus Visits Jesus, Week 3 – Jesus and the Woman of Samaria, Week 4 – A Man Born Blind Receives Sight, Week 5 – The Death of Lazarus.
Each week’s bulletin includes:
- Gospel from the Revised Common Lectionary
- Time of Silence (with prompts for reflection, an introduction and invitation into Ignatian Contemplation, and coloring)
The resources and spiritual practices are designed to be used by all ages and have been particularly meaningful for intergenerational groups.
Everything provided is FREE (although we do ask that you register) and may be used exactly as presented or customized for your own context.
Over 600 individuals and congregations from 14 different countries and more than 40 denominations registered for LEAD’s Advent resources. Check out the creative ways they used the resources:
- A coloring table in the entryway for kids and adults
- With confirmation students for devotion time
- During a 3-hour silent retreat
- In prison ministry settings
- Small group bible study at a local restaurant
- Conference clergy meeting
- Coloring pages provided as a take-home resources
- For an ecumenical bible study
- At a local senior residence
- Combined into a devotional booklet
- Images enlarged as posters for group, collaborative coloring or hung as banners
- Blessings sent out in weekly emails and posted on Facebook