by Rev. Louise Johnson, LEAD Director of Leadership Development
I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly. – John 10:10b
Living Every Day As Disciples.
As people of faith, we believe that leadership and discipleship are inextricably intertwined.
We strive to deepen our discipleship through our worship life; our engagement with scripture; our prayer life, spiritual practices, stewardship; and our trust that God can make all things possible.
It is in deepening our discipleship that we grow as leaders, congregations, judicatories or organizations.
WHY DOES THIS MATTER?
The number of people engaged in a life of faith is in decline. So many in the world around us suffer from injustice and oppression. Others live lives filled with brokenness – fear, anxiety, shame, despair, worthlessness.
The message of the gospel is hope, life, love, healing, forgiveness, freedom, purpose. The church has a calling to find new ways to live and proclaim the message of the gospel, to invite others into the abundant life of God, to make disciples.
The work before us is daunting.
How do small declining communities of faith become the church that the scriptures call us to be?
How do we as individuals find the time, space, and energy for our own growth in discipleship?
The best leadership material in the world cannot solve this problem. But with God all things are possible.
Effective, faithful church leadership begins with discipleship, with a deep trust in God and an ability to put faith into practice.
SO, WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE?
- Change the world around them by strengthening communities of faith that preach, teach, proclaim, and live the way of Jesus Christ.
- Face difficult challenges with humility, confidence, and resilience.
- Discern the voice and leading of God in ministry.
- Invite and mentor others in discipleship.
- Teach the faith to new believers.
- Transform existing communities of faith into places of peace, justice, and mission.
At LEAD, we are here to walk alongside you in your discipleship journey offering hope, accountability, and resources.
If you are ready to grow as a leader through deeper discipleship, you may want to check out:
- Renew – join a Digital Open House to learn more about this leadership opportunity…Wednesday, September 23rd at 2:00pm (Central)
- Values Cards – identify what is most important to you as an individual, a group, a family (by birth or by choice), or a congregation
- Pilgrimage (In Search of Paul) – travel to Turkey and Greece to explore what a 1st century gospel means for a 21st century context
- Coaching – explore what it means to grow and lead disciples accompanied by a LEAD coach