What is The Way?
- Are you searching for greater depth of meaning in your life?
- Do you hope there is more to the Christian faith than what you’ve experienced thus far?
- Would you be interested in being a part of a guided covenant group of fellow pilgrims in the faith for a period of nine months, including two retreat weekends?
Then THE WAY is for you.
This is a 9 month commitment to a group of 8-10 people who are willing to meet weekly or bi-monthly, following a set learning path with a trained guide. The Way is an invitation to see everything as sacred, to make space for a spiritual life through prayer and quiet time that make us aware of God’s presence in our life.
Loving God with all our soul is the spiritual part of our faith life that draws us into intentional community to practice our faith. It is a true life of pilgrimage that sees every day as a meaningful part of our journey.
“You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.” ~ Thomas Merton
With support from your fellow group members and guides, you will have a unique opportunity to reflect on life as you live it. So often it takes a major event, sometimes joyful but oftentimes tragic, to get us to stop, take account, and re-examine our lives. The Way is an opportunity to do this work in a safe, confidential, and caring environment with other people whose role is to love and support you.
Life is a pilgrimage where the journey is every bit as important as the destination.
This opportunity should not be seen as a means to some future life or some future reward. Each day, from the first to the last, is its own reward. The fullness of life in Jesus Christ is yours today, not once you’ve lived according to The Way for a full year or two or ten. Jesus taught us that the kingdom of God is here and now. Discipleship and Christ-likeness are not something we develop or earn, but rather free gifts from God, often called Grace. So do not mistake this as being a means to earn your way closer to God. That gift is already yours. The Way offers an opportunity to reorient your life in alignment with this gift, realizing the depth of who you are as a child of God.
The Way is:
- Comprehensive, holistic life assessment
- Exploration of the four orientations of being human as defined by Jesus and the Shema
- Covenant group program that spends 2 months on each aspect of the Shema
- Physical health and presence (Strength)
- Mental health and developing Jesus’ kingdom-based worldview (Mind)
- Spiritual health and ways to remain at one with God, others and self (Soul)
- Vocational health ensuring we live lives that work toward justice and peace (Heart)
The Way has been piloted by The Reverend Richard Nelson for 9 years. This proven experience is used with gratitude as a core part of the LEAD system for growing Christian Leaders.